Monday, 12 September 2011

RIver visit

Today I went for a short bicycle ride, and visited the river near where i used to teach. I hadn't been there for a long time. I did not stay long, though, because it turned out hotter than I expected and I was getting a headache.

I met some of my old friends, and a few new ones.

I met a heron. 


Then I met an egret.



Then I met some ducks. They looked at me funny. That made me pretty sure we'd met before.




A carp surfaced to say hello and ask if I had any food. Sadly, I didn't.



I also saw a grossly overweight Garbage Fish, sulking grumpily in the shallows. These are fairly common and I don't usually bother photographing them.


 Next I saw a Tin Can Fish. I have seen many of those before, too.



I also encountered an elderly woman feeding pigeons and sparrows.



And as I was leaving I had the great good fortune to spot, across the road, the rare and colourful Brassiere Bird, draped languidly in a tree.
 


While it is not uncommon to catch a glimpse of the Brassiere Bird in the wild, it is unusual to see them out in the open like this. 
 
It must have been the heat.

2 comments:

Keera Ann Fox said...

What a gorgeous Brassiere Bird! It must have known it was so gorgeous, which is why it let itself be seen out in the open like that.

My local pond contains some impressive Shopping Cart Corals, but it takes your inspiring post to remind me that they deserve a mention on my blog. Or your blog.

Thanks for the giggles, Badaunt!

kenju said...

I am so glad to see your photo-essays gain!! Excellent job!