Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Fully charged

It's that time of year again. You can tell summer is over, because I am, once again, fully charged. I noticed it yesterday after screaming and tossing chalk in the air, and today, again, my students were enormously entertained by my occasional sudden eruptions of fright as I went to write on the board and got shocked. And when I say shocked, I mean SHOCKED.

They all learned the words static electricity. After that, the idea was that they'd know what it was all about and take it in their stride. Instead, I became, apparently, 'cute.' Every time I screamed and threw chalk in the air the students thought it was funny. "Kawaii!" I heard them saying. This is my third week with them and apparently I am keeping them interested,

But I am NOT kawaii. I am SHOCKED.

The (only) good thing about this problem is that it keeps the students focused. When they're all chatting happily and not paying attention to me or staying on task, at the very least my screams serve to jolt them into consciousness that there is a teacher in the room, who is expecting something of them, and who is writing something on the board that they should be paying attention to. They stop talking when I scream, and look at me. Then they see the board. And, sometimes, they continue to pay attention to what i am writing, which is quite frequently the instructions for what they are supposed to be doing.

I have to think of this as a good thing. Getting shocked on a regular basis is not pleasant, but at least it is pedagogically sound.

5 comments:

acte gratuit said...

Hi! Tell your daughter to e-mail me...we need to hire two assistants!!!!
emilydeon@gmail.com

P.S. Your blog makes me homesick.

acte gratuit said...

I do miss all the "kawaiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

Lucy said...

sorry, Badaunt for the blog comment hijack. i miss the kawaii also. sorry it is all so shocking.

Lucy said...

and thank you Emily. I'll have her email you.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write! "Pedagogically sound" hit right at home and made me laugh so much I still can't contain the occasional burst.