Sunday, 20 November 2011

Roundabouts

There are not many roundabouts in America? There are things I would never have thought of, having never been there. Roundabouts were an everyday thing for me in NZ (but not in Japan, where, come to think of it, I have never seen one). Roundabouts are such a sensible and easy way to turn a corner on a busy road.

Well, not always easy. I remember once going around the Basin Reserve roundabout four times, trying to get out the exit I wanted to get out (there are eight or nine). I just couldn't get into the outside lane at the right time. The Basin Reserve roundabout is a very large roundabout. It took a while to get around, and by the fourth time I was pretty well exasperated, mostly with myself.

But while the Basin Reserve roundabout is a bit hair-raising at rush hour, most roundabouts are a piece of cake, and WAY nicer than traffic lights. I recommend them.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

It depends on where in America. There are a few in my current location and I wish there were more. My hometown doesn't have any and when the state was going to put some in people loudly protested and shut it down. They are scared of them since they are unfamiliar. Little do they know how nice it makes turning a busy corner.

Keera Ann Fox said...

Americans prefer stop signs and traffic lights. I have never in all my years in Norway ever seen a stop sign and Norwegians hate traffic lights. I can understand the latter. It's hard to get decent timing of lights in medieval cities, there being no such thing as a long, straight street here. Norway is getting more and more roundabouts.

Roundabouts don't work in busy intersections; that's when they bog down, being crowded with cars going in and out and everyone waiting for an opening. You need to make them the right size to work well when it's busy. Like in Paris. In Norway, most are too small. I also think they should have ramps built-in for emergency vehicles so they can drive straight ahead without slowing down. ;-)

kenju said...

There are some in the area where my older daughter lives, and I can seldom get into the right lane fast enough to get off where I want. I almost always end up going around 3-4 times, much to my husband's dismay!

tinyhands said...

Not many in my home town, but we do have a double-roundabout.

http://g.co/maps/4pbzu